The 2nd Anglo Boer War between 1899 and 1902 effectively halted any urban development in Johannesburg. When the war ended in May 1902, the old Boer method of ad hoc administration in Johannesburg was replaced by the British model where a city council was set up, bylaws and regulations drawn up and the city boundaries increased. In order to take advantage of the new order, the developers quickly started setting up new suburbs.The first after the war was Norwood on 15 July 2002 and by the end of the year a total of 8 new suburbs had been created; in 1903 another 13 were formed and in 1904 a further 12 new suburbs were founded. In the first 2 1/2 years after the war, Johannesburg had never before or since seen such an proliferation of new suburbs.
Parkhurst was the 67th suburb in Johannesburg and the 22nd after the war to be formed, being laid out in September 1903 and officially registered as a suburb in February 1904. This was right in the middle of the property boom and something was needed to make it stand out from the other suburbs and entice buyers.
The usual method was to issue notices complete with flowery language extolling the virtues of the the new suburb and notifying potential buyers about the forthcoming public auction of stands in the new suburb.
Parkhurst was IW Schlesinger’s 1st property development project and he brought all his New York chutzpah to bear by announcing a competition to name the new suburb.
The 1901 map (on the right) shows the old municipal area in red in the middle and the new boundaries that followed the 6 mile (about 10km) boundary around the CBD. Note that Parkhurst was located along the northern end of the new proposed boundary. To the north of this new boundary is the farm Klipfontein 479 which was officially registered as being in the Pretoria District.
The terms of the competition were published in the local newspapers. Anna Smith in “Johannesburg Street Names” uses the 21 August 1903 edition of the Transvaal Critic as her source. Among all the hupla of the announcement of the competition, there some interesting facts pertaining to the new suburb. Remember that the African Realty Trust (ART) did not yet own the land.
Summary of the Competition
The competition was launched on 21 August 1903 and ran for 26 days until 15 September. 11,823 entries were received from all over South Africa and the neighbouring colonies. The judges then took a month to consider the entries before decalring the new name on 15 October 1903.
The best summary of the competition is in the Star on 15 October 1903:
“It will be remembered that some time little ago the African Realty Trust, having the new suburb, which had hitherto been known as the New Parktown, adjoining Herman Eckstein Park, to dispose of, hit upon the novel idea of offering a considerable sum of money in prizes to the person or persons who suggested the most suitable and appropriate name for the township.
The total amount offered was £300 divided as follows: £100 to be given to the winner or winners; another £100 for the winner or winners, who, whilest the competition lasted, visited the suburb; and the third £100 to the winner or winners who had purchased stands in the township.
As the prizes were tempting, the competition attracted considerable attention, and the judges appointed to select the winners, Messrs. J.W. Quinn, A Rogaly and D.Holt, had to deal with no fewer than 15,000 coupons [note that this is a mistake – they probably meant to say 12,000 as the official reportback stated 11,823 entries] in the performance of the duty that they had undertaken. After much study and careful consideration, they selected from the very numerous suggestions ‘Parkhurst’ as the name for the new suburb, on the ground that it seemed to them the most appropriate, because of its “euphony, comparative brevity, and general fitness to the locality.”
49 people suggested “Parkhurst” and they equally divide the first £100 getting £2.0s.10d. Six of them possessed visitors’ coupons, and get an additional £16.13s.4d. Only one of the successful competitors qualified for the third £100, viz., Mr. A.E. Adams, or Beresford Building, who gets £118.14s.2d. The five competitors in addition to Mr. Adams who possessed visitors’ coupons were: Mrs. Ralph Davis, Johannesburg; Mr. A. Ogden, Doornfontein; Mr. Wm. Witton, Potchefstroom; Mr. D. Bostwick, Braamfontein, and Mr. Gilbert Wood, Germiston.
Amongst such a legion of suggestions as were sent in, there were, of course many other appropriate, and even beautiful names; and there were also many which were unpronounceable, and even ridiculous. Public men came in for a lot of attention, Lord Milner’s name, in a variety of forms, being suggested by something like 200 competitors; while others rung the changes on the names of the judges, Quinntown, Rogalyburg and Holtville being amoungsr the attempts to appeal to the sympathy of the judges. On the whole the jusdges are to be congratulated on having selected perhaps the best name for the suburb, and one which should not give much trouble at the G.P.O. [General Post Office].